Sunday, May 26, 2024

of glass slippers, hair scarves, and the color blue

 cinderella (2015) is vivid and vibrant and heartwarming. I could watch this movie on repeat (and have done so). even though ella experiences so much heartbreak, she still believes in the things that make life worth living- hope, love, kindness, courage, selflessness. she embodies her beliefs even when she's pushed to her absolute limit. she is so inspiring. 

the best things about cinderella

I. her hair




my favorite thing about ella's many hairstyles is how messy and effortless they are. you can also see how they get progressively messier as her situation gets worse. when she meets kit in the woods and wears the white hair scarf above, her hair is nearly in dread locks. so why praytell do I wish to emulate it? no idea, but after watching this, I want to sport messy half ups, loose chunky braids, and linen hair scarves so badly.


II. the dress and the dancing in said dress


her dress is stunning. when I first saw this movie I had a sort of manic obsession with this dress. I could not stop looking at it or reading about how it was made with at least eight iridescent skirts of the finest organza and hundreds and hundreds of swarovski crystals. it is the epitome of a true princes dress. and it's blue. I love blue.


every scene the dress is in, whether she's tossing the flounces in a dance or the skirts are draping across grass on a garden swing, is mesmerizing to watch. and the glass slippers are equally beautiful and have such a gratifying design. my only critique is that I wish they had left her dress the unedited periwinkle pale blue it actually was. while I do like the vivid blue of her dress, I think the pale blue resembles the original cinderella dress better. but I have not a single word to say on her shoes. they look otherworldly and as if they are truly made of enchanted glass. 

III. kit and the love ella and him share


Kit is probably the only live action prince i've actually liked (although eric from the new little mermaid was good too). kit's character is endearing. he is boyish but still mature and like ella, is a dreamer. he doesn't care that ella is poor and has been reduced to a servant. I also admire how much of his relationship with his father was shown. my favorite scene with kit is when he cries like a child on his fathers bed. it is so raw and sad.


  I adore the passionate yet pure love that ella and kit share. they have a lot of similarities. they have both lost both of a parent and later both parents. they both place the importance of love, and kindness above duty and station. I think they are very well matched and when the film ends, I can imagine them actually living happily ever after. 

- from Nie

No comments:

Post a Comment